HISTORY

HOME PAGE | HISTORY MORE ABOUT US  |  EVENTS 
  LOCO SHED| TIMETABLE | WINE&DINE |
  FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCESALES | TV/FILM 
| MODEL SHOP | CONTACT

The line opened to Shepton Mallet on Tuesday 9 November 1858.Extended to Wells in 1862.In1870 the line reached Yatton through the Cheddar Valley. Built as a broad gauge line it connected Whitham to Yatton passing through Wanstrow, Cranmore ,Shepton Mallet,&Wells. By 1892 it was converted to standard gauge. Known locally as "The Strawberry Line" as it carried the fruit grown in the Cheddar valley to the fruit markets of London.
Cranmore Station closed to passenger traffic 9 September 1963 and goods 17 January 1966. The station yard was kept open for bitumen traffic. The station would have stayed closed if David Shepherd hadn't been looking for a site to house his locomotives and rolling stock displaced by the closure of their site at Longmoor. He built a new loco shed in 1972 and the East Somerset Railway Association was born.
There was a Royal opening in 1975 by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. We operated brake van rides until in 1981 the line reopened from Cranmore West Station Merryfield Lane Station. Then in 1985 the line was extended back into Cranmore Station and also to a new station built in sight of Shepton Mallet at Mendip Vale.

In the future we hope to extend to Shepton Mallet and build a new Station.

HOME PAGE | HISTORY MORE ABOUT US  |  EVENTS 
  LOCO SHED| TIMETABLE | WINE&DINE |
  FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCESALES | TV/FILM 
| MODEL SHOP | CONTACT